Sunday, November 15, 2009

...dreaming in Spanish

The trip to Guanajuato, Mexico is less than a week away. I'm excited about going, but also very nervous. This isn't a vacation--I'll be teaching teachers, and I know we can be a tough crowd. A week or so ago my partner (who has done this before) handed me a huge file folder and downloaded a gazillion more onto my computer and said, "Take a look at this and let me know if you have any questions." I was under the misguided illusion that the curriculum we'll be using was set--and all I'd have to do was become familiar with it. Piece of cake. But when I finally had time to sit down and go through it all, it became apparent that I had much to do to prepare. Since I'm barely keeping up with my regular workload this year I began to panic. What have I done??? Can I do this??? Gulp.

Then three things happened that have helped to ease my mind. First, I received an email from my partner on Friday just before leaving school saying, "Let's meet on Tuesday to go over our plans." (Oh good, you're going to help me?? Whew!) Second, I spent some much needed time with a very good friend yesterday who gave me a pep talk and reminded me of all I know. Third, this morning I awakened from a dream that was entirely in Spanish. In this dream I confidently walked into the home of my host family (wearing a plunging neckline!), shook hands all around, and had a rousing discussion about politics with my parents. (What were they doing there??) In the background the TV was blaring with a religious(?) cartoon show.

I needed the email. I'm not alone in this. I needed the pep talk. I am capable of doing the job or I wouldn't have been chosen. And the dream has me smiling and pondering. While not exactly a shrinking violet, I don't normally face a roomful of strangers with the bravado I did in the dream. (And I never wear plunging necklines!) But it's the cartoon in the background that has me flummoxed. I don't recall ever seeing anything like it in any language, so how could I dream it?? It's a mystery to me, the sort of thing I enjoy thinking about. Maybe the dream is my psyche's way of telling me to be brave, daring, and strong, and to enjoy the adventure of the unknown. Ole!

5 comments:

Leslie Morgan said...

I don't need to have ever met you in person. I already know all about you. You can do this. This is what you do ~ your passion. Just go do it.

Doozyanner said...

Thanks, Limes. I love the kids I work with, and enjoy a challenge. I am excited to be going to Mexico. I am not, however, addicted to work, and the pace of this year is just about to do me in. Why do we always have to be in such a hurry to do more?

Unknown said...

Unfortunately I sometimes find myself working for the animation department at the Christian Broadcasting Network here in Virginia Beach (Pat Robertsons). I have screened Christian based animations in a few languages. Personally I find it unsettling. But that is my politics and lack of Christian faith acting up. Good luck in Mexico.

Doozyanner said...

Tag, I have no doubt that religious cartoons are available in many languages, but I've never watched one. It makes me wish for a "right-click, file-save as" for dreams as I'd love to watch that particular one over and over again. It makes me laugh just thinking about it. Thanks for stopping by.

Leslie Morgan said...

Conditioning, Dooz. We're pressured to do more, faster, better. It is maddening.

Ha! WV is reforem. I propose reforem of the frantic pace we endure today.