Saturday, August 20, 2011

...being like Gumby

I want to be like Gumby.  He could get all in a twist and still keep a smile on his face.  We've been in the hotel for over two weeks now, and still no word on where, exactly, I'll be living and teaching.  I sent off an email yesterday to (politely) inquire.  By the process of elimination I had deduced that, since my name wasn't on the list for Abu Dhabi city or Al Ain, I would be in Al Gharbia.  However, Al Gharbia (pronounced al garBEEa) is a huge region and I was curious to know in which city I would be placed.  The answer just came back:  "You will be placed in Al Gharbia."  Alrighty then.  I guess I'll just be patient and wait to hear more. 

We had three days of training this past week, which was very helpful.  On Wednesday they separated us by grade level so we could take a look at the curriculum.  I was glad to see that the standards are very similar to Oregon's.

While I was glad to have the training that was provided, it also heightened my anxiety about the task at hand.  I woke up Friday morning feeling a bit homesick and unsettled. It didn't last long--conversation at breakfast with my new friends, a run on the treadmill, and Skype with Arlene took care of it. 

My friends Clark and Rochelle are back in Al Ain.  They just flew in from Utah yesterday and are coming to get me on Monday.  It will be so good to catch up with them and pick their brains about...everything.  I also look forward to using their washing machine!  I have a cell phone (mobile, it's called here) again and have been texting with Clark.  Funny how something so small can make life feel more normal again.

Tonight Jo, Katherine and I are taking the shuttle to IKEA for dinner. (We laugh at ourselves for being delighted in such a small, silly thing. We've been in this hotel toooo long!) We also learned of an Australian place called "Jones the Grocer" that is open during the day (even during Ramadan!).  We're taking a field trip on Tuesday with the intent of finding a thrift store, getting our drivers licenses translated, visiting the Grand Mosque, and stopping for a bite to eat at Jones'. 

4 comments:

Leslie Morgan said...

Aw, Gumby, you've now proved how human you are, homesick, etc. Anxious about "what's next?" " . . you should see what Gumby can do today! He can walk into any book with his pony pal, Poky, too. If you've got a heart, then Gumby's a part of you. . . " Just keep on keeping on. As some reformed drunks have mentioned to me, take it one hour at a time, if that's what is required.

Arlene said...

IKEA for dinner seems so funny, but I have friends here who say the Cinnamon Rolls there are wonderful. Be sure to include a food update.

Remember when you were waiting for the email about your plane ticket? It took forever, then was here. Same will happen with your new home and classroom.

jeff said...

What an excellent adventure! When you are settled in Al Gumbya, or wherever, I'm looking forward to hearing all about it.

Doozyanner said...

Yup, Les, I am very human and not at all immune to homesickness. But, I try not to wallow in it! Arlene, IKEA has a fair-to-middlin buffet type restaurant, and it wasn't bad at all for the price. You're right--it seemed like I waited forever for the ticket to arrive and now I just have to be patient and wait for the assignment. It's definitely different here! Jeff--Al Gumbya! I like it! :-) Stay tuned...there is much more to come of my excellent adventure!