Tuesday, August 30, 2011

...this and that

I have a post about our visit to the Grand Mosque percolating, but in the meantime there are some random thoughts rolling around in my brain.  Here they are, in no particular order:

--I used to wake up each morning and wonder what the weather would be like that day.  Here, it's sunny.  Every day.  Oh, sure, some days are breezier than others so there might be a haze in the distance because of blowing sand, but everyday I open the curtains to SUN!

--The wind doesn't annoy me here like it did at home.  I'm not itching to get out on my bike, so the wind doesn't matter.  Blow on!

--The hotel has a gym that is open 24 hours and free.  I've put it to good use.  Who knew that at 52 I'd start to (almost) like running?  (Thanks, Nate, for your encouragement!) Mind you, it's not a love affair like I have with cycling, but it feels pretty good to get some miles in on the treadmill.  I hope there's a gym wherever I end up.

--Exercise is a good thing.  Now if I could just do something about my sweet tooth and my desire to try every yummy thing I see here!  (Baklava, anyone?)

--Yesterday was the last day of Ramadan.  Today is the first day of Eid.  The first difference I noticed was music.  There was mellow sax music playing at breakfast and hip hop in the gym.  (I was really ok with silence in the gym.) It will be a relief to be able to eat and drink in public again.

--Snail mail takes about two weeks to get from here to Oregon. 

--I think I'm going to buy an air mattress.  If I have to move out of here in a hurry, at least I'll have a bed.  And, it will come in handy when visitors come to see me later in the year.

4 comments:

Arlene said...

mmmmm, Baklava, mmmmmmmmmmmmmm, need I say more?

Oh good, my bed will be ready when I get there!!!


In H town you had wind and hills. I think that made a big difference.

Do you know if the weather will cool off in the winter months?

Leslie Morgan said...

I've been thinking about . . . the difference in our time zones. You are now placed so that your blog posts land like a flower on my breakfast tray. I like it. I'm fresher in the head early in the day, whether I have time to comment right then, or wait until later.

I can relate to the nearly ever-present sunlight. Except when it snows here. The one constant is that freaking wind. Ugh!

Among other things lost, I gave up some fitness during my year from hell. It is really hard trying to reclaim it. I don't/can't run. I'm not a cyclist. I swim every day. My major claim to fame was walking. But I've lost ground and regret that.

Doozyanner said...

Arlene, it will cool off in the winter--down to the 60s I think. By the time you come to visit I will be very familiar with the place and will know where to go and what to do.

Les, do what you can and be where you are. :-) I don't miss the wind, but at this time I'm very rarely out in it and not slogging along on my bike in it. Not sure I would enjoy LV!

Leslie Morgan said...

OH, my dear, there is little to enjoy about Las Vegas. Trust me! I know these things. I've served two sentences here and don't see any signs of early release, short of dying in my cell. Alas, I shall seek succor in a virtual world.