Sunday, September 28, 2008

...Cabbage Hill

Yesterday five of us rode from Pendleton to Meacham and back again. It was a beautiful day--sunny with no wind. And wouldn't you know it, I forgot my camera! Rats. So imagine a clear fall day with a great view of the Pendleton valley. It took us 3 hours to go up, up, up for 30 miles. Puncture vines were abundant along the side of the road, but we only had one flat tire. Our destination was the Meacham cafe for their famous pancakes. We ate, rested, drank lots of coffee, then headed back down the hill. My average speed on the downhill was 28 mph. I chickened out on the hairpin turns and used my brakes, but it was still a rush! I found out later that a rider from Pendleton, Mac, is 75 years old. I would never have guessed he was that old--on the way up he kept circling back to make sure everyone was ok. So while I put 60 miles on my bike, he probably logged about 80. I hope I'm still riding strong when I'm 75. The last ride of September...it was a good one.

No comments: