Monday, September 22, 2008

...teaching



This is my 20th year of teaching. In some ways doing what I do has gotten easier. I know the routine. But in lots of ways it's gotten harder. There are so many more requirements now than there were when I first started teaching. So...why do I teach?
Just look at these faces!!!

Who can resist kids like these who work harder than hard, tussle like puppies, make me laugh, then frustrate me to no end, who want to learn English, who want to fit in, who want to achieve even when faced with so many obstacles?


I love these kids. And they are the reason I keep coming back. From time to time I try to figure out what else I could do with my life. But I haven't thought of anything else yet. Until I do, these smiles will keep me going.


(There are 2 girls and 1 more boy in this class, but they were camera shy, so I didn't force them to say "cheese!")


No comments: