Saturday, January 3, 2009

...gifts that make me smile

I received many wonderful gifts this Christmas--books, DVDs, scarves, lotions, gift certificate to my favorite bike shop--and I appreciate them all. But every year there are a few gifts that are special for one reason or another. Here are my top four this year:

1. Frog salt and pepper shakers from my 9 year old godson Cristian. Definitely not something I would have chosen for myself, but he thought they would make me laugh. And they do. Notice how they link arms? Too cute.
2. A gift certificate to Kiva.org from my sister Arlene. I used it to loan money to a woman in the restaurant business in Nicaragua. What a cool way to make a difference in the world!
3. A crock pot from my kids. My old one that I'd had for almost 27 years died right before Christmas. The kids know I can't live without a crock pot--it's my "wife" who has dinner ready and waiting for me when I get home from school. Isn't it cheery? (Black beans are soaking in it right now.)
4. Installation of chains on my little truck from my brother Dave. He stopped by for coffee and a visit on one of our snow days and offered to put the chains on my truck for me--and of course I said yes! It was so nice to be able to get around town and finish my shopping without getting stuck.

No comments: