Tuesday, February 3, 2009

...25 things about me

There's another email/Facebook thing going around...compiling a list of 25 things about oneself to share with others. I started a few times but stalled because I had already made up a random list here on my blog, with color and everything! I decided to give it another shot, but my mood has not been the best the past couple of days so it was a struggle. I'm going to try again.

25 random things about me:

1. I love all kinds of food but have a weakness for lasagne, quiche, and tamales.

2. One of my favorite places is my mom's backyard on an early summer morning, drinking coffee and listening to the birds sing. I still imagine the view of Mt. Fanny as it was before the neighbor's tree grew so tall and obstructed it.

3. I've lived in 6 states and 1 province, and attended 3 elementaries, 1 junior high, and 2 high schools.

4. I like my job (most of the time), love my students (most of the time), and love that my job alllows me lots of time off just to "be." I had never thought that I would be a career woman...always wanted to be a stay-at-home mom...so teaching has been a good compromise. I will love retirement--time to travel and read and sew and cycle and volunteer to my heart's content.

5. I voted for Obama. He gives me hope.

6. I have college credits from EOU (BA), WOU (MS), SOU, PSU, OSU, and Lewis and Clark.

7. I can talk to my kids about just about anything. They get me. And even when they don't get me they still love me.

8. I'm having a hard time identifying myself as a Christian these days when the word seems to be synonymous with so many things that I don't believe.

9. I am easily embarrassed and cry easily. And don't do a very good job of faking that things are ok when they're not.

10. I love working alongside my mom in her garden.

11. Cycling has become my passion.

12. Could only see the big E when I had my eyes checked in 6th grade. Often wonder if that is why I'm a bit of a social misfit--I couldn't see others' faces so didn't think they could see mine.

13. I once wanted to write childrens books.

14. My list of places to visit in the world is never-ending.

15. I know the Holy Spirit is in sunsets and laughter.

16. Conversations on speaker-phone with an audience is something I will avoid in the future.

17. I'm a pretty good cook when I make an effort, but most of the time can't be bothered.

18. I have watched Sense and Sensibility so many times that it is now my napping movie. I put it in for background noise and zzzzz...I'm out.

19. I am book-rich right now. Was just given another by the librarian today. "Only" 600 pages, he said!

20. I have never smoked pot. Amazing for someone who was a teen in the 70s! My brothers make up for my lack of adventure in that area.

21. I have my grandpa's Victrola. He had quite a record collection and played them for Saturday night skating in the Cove gym. Can you imagine roller skating in the school gym now?

22. I've had my sewing machine since I was in high school. I bought it used then. It's time to save for a new one.

23. I know from watching my sister with her granddaughter and being around the children and grandchildren of my friends that I am going to love being a grandma. But no hurry.

24. My hair was very long when I was young. And for several years I wore it very short. It will never, ever reach my waist again, but it's long enough now to pull back under my bike helmet.

25. I went on a field trip to Providence, RI in the 4th grade. We saw "2001: A Space Odyssy," and also went to the capital building. There was a protest going on. Hearing the song "We Shall Overcome" immediately transports me to 1968 and I am 10 years old again.

No comments: