Friday, February 13, 2009

...the day the power went out

Today started out as just another ordinary day. Once I got to school though, I could tell something was up. The office was dark. A beeping sound was coming from downstairs. Kids were milling around nervously. It turns out there was a fire on the power pole right behind our school. I don't know all the details, and I couldn't see what was going on from my room, but suffice it to say that--without electricity--it was a very different day. No online attendance. No copies made. No telephones. No digital clock telling us the time. No lights in the (dark) restrooms! No computers. No "get with a partner and edit your writing and get it turned in!" No "Can I check my grades?" No "Look at this cool site I found for you to get some information." No interruptions from the intercom (a good thing--if we'd been able to work!) No bells. Add Singing Valograms, day-before-Valetine's Day gift exchanges and the Red Cross Blood drive to the mix--trust me--it was a CRAZY day! Thankfully the decision was made to send students home at the same time as the middle school--11:20 or so--instead of holding them until 2:45. A memorable Friday the 13th.

No comments: