Wednesday, February 18, 2009

...a dirty little secret

Or is it a clean little secret? Today was a blue-sky sun-shiny day and I couldn't wait to get on my bike after school. It was clear and warm, with only a bit of a breeze. As I was riding along I was thinking...I have never gotten my hands dirty by changing a flat on my bike! Never! Not once in the 1 1/2 years that it has been mine. Sure, I put air in the tires, and I did have to fiddle with one (once) that wasn't quite right, but I have NEVER taken a wheel off, pulled out the flat tube, found the offending sticker, put in a new tube, pumped it up, and put it back on the bike. Why? Usually on a group ride there is a guy or two who can change a flat in no time at all (they'd rather get it done quickly and get back on the road), and luckily, I have never had a flat when I'm out on my own (like today). It's not that I'm afraid of getting my hands dirty, and it's not that I don't think I can. (I come from a long line of strong and capable women.) I keep meaning to practice at home, really I do, and statistically, if I keep riding alone (which I will do whenever good weather and time are on my side), the chances are good that I will sometime experience a flat, and be forced to change it. So I'd better put my good intentions aside and actually practice. Really.

No comments: