Tuesday, June 23, 2009

...youth

Tonight was going to be the night that I hung on to the fast pace line. It was going to happen. And it did--until the first hill. Then I found myself in no man's land--a place I tend to hang out-- ahead of the slow group, waaay behind the fast group. But tonight I had company. A young woman visiting from Russia was riding with us. There I was, huffing and puffing and grumbling to myself that I got dropped again when Veronica came up behind me. Her friend had told her to stay behind someone so she could "drift" off them. (As an ESL teacher I love little misspeaks.) She was riding a borrowed bike and wearing running shorts and tennis shoes. I said something about how well she was doing and she said, "Oh, this is only my second time on the bike. I want to give it my all!" And she did. I had to work hard to keep up with her. Ah, youth!!

1 comment:

Leslie Morgan said...

It's wasted on the young! There was a woman who used to walk in circles each day around my local park. She was at least my age, but taller than I and (never have landed on the exact words, so please bear with me) "loose" in the hips. Her walking style was rolling. I'd see her from across the park and my jaw would slide out, I'd increase my pace and nearly beat myself to death on the concrete. She'd just roll along. Sometimes I "won", sometimes she did. The Badger would be running the park in the opposite direction from me and could be seen to laugh when he saw me take on "Loose Hips". I was damned glad when she moved away, apparently.