Monday, May 25, 2009

...a flat tire

There was lots of traffic on the highway today as I drove home from visiting my folks. Everyone seemed to be going fast. Since I wasn't in a huge hurry and the traffic was making me a little bit crazy I decided to get off the freeway and take the old highway. I was enjoying the scenery and the slower pace when--cathunkwubblewubblewubble. A flat tire. I pulled over, got out to take a look, and sure enough--front right--flatter than flat. No worries, I know what to do. Or do I? What's missing here? There's the bar to release the spare from under the truck, and there's the jack. But where's the lug wrench? Where's the thing-a-ma-jig that slides onto the end of the bar to give me leverage? Uh oh. It's been so long since I've had a flat tire that I have no memory of taking that important little piece of metal out of the truck. So...what to do? Lots of people saw me, emergency flashers blinking, but--as I said before--everyone was going fast. No time to stop and help. Luckily, I was within walking distance of the rest stop but was timid about marching up to complete strangers and asking for help. I saw a family sitting down for a picnic so swallowed my nervousness and walked on over. The man and his son came to help--they were able to get the spare out from under the truck, but--their lug wrench didn't fit. I thanked them for their help and pondered some more. What to do what to do what to do. (Besides lots of praying and trying not to cry.) I called my brother Dave, but he was at work and couldn't get away. I called my dad and he said he was on his way. (No hesitation at all--that's how my folks have always been.) But I hated for him to make such a long drive for something as simple as a lug wrench. So, another deep breath and I approached a man who was emptying his RV tank. He wasn't unfriendly but I didn't get warm fuzzies from him either. He said he'd finish what he was doing and then come try to help me. I went back to the truck and waited. And then...(thank you God!) a van stopped beside me and a smiling man asked if I needed help. Do I ever! In no time at all he had the flat off, and the spare on while his wife chatted non-stop. So thank you, thank you, thank you to Robert and Heather and their son Jaidon who are from Grants Pass but now live in Boise who are on their way to Seattle to fly out to Maui in the morning to spend ten days relaxing on the beach. When everyone else was going fast, in a rush to get to their destination, you took the time to help a complete stranger. I hope your vacation is perfect. Thank you!

(Les Schwab will be getting a visit from me after school tomorrow.)
Oh and I did remember to call my dad and tell him not to come. And I'm glad he and mom remembered to grab the cell phone on their way out the door!

2 comments:

The Old Bag said...

Glad to hear your story ended well...for all my mechanical ability, I've never messed with a flat car tire -- not sure I'd know what to do?

Doozyanner said...

Oh it gets even better...read on! hahaha