Thursday, May 28, 2009

...setting a goal

I've had my beautiful cobalt blue and black road bike for a year and a half now. A year and a half of riding with my buddies from Scott's. I've graduated from the slow group and, once in a great while can hold on to the fast group, but I usually hang out somewhere in the middle. And I seem to have reached a plateau. My average speed appears to be stuck at 15 mph. So. I have nothing, nothing planned for this summer except to ride my bike. (Well I do plan to visit my folks--and ride my bike, visit Katie--and ride my bike, visit my sister--and ride my bike.) My goal is to move that durned average speed number up a few notches. How about 20 mph by the time my two year anniversary rolls around in late August? I'm not even sure if that's a reasonable goal--but I'm sure going to have fun trying! And bad news...I missed the Tuesday night ride due to my flat tire adventure so didn't learn until tonight that Ivan crashed and broke his collar bone. Poor guy! He didn't have to have surgery, which is good news, but ohhh to be off the bike for the summer?! Torture!
Friday night update: I hung out at the shop this evening before it closed (yeah, what else is there to do in a small town?) and chatted with a young guy who has been riding for several years. I told him about my goal and he thought maybe 17mph would be more reasonable. Sounds good to me!

No comments: